The Census Bureau conducts other surveys of economic activity in addition to the Economic Censuses. Most of these series are annual.
Here are the Library's holdings of these series, with links to more recent data when it is available online:
- Annual Survey of Manufactures. C 3.24/9: . 1962-1996. Some years are not available, some have hardbound cumulations of separate subject reports, some do not. Some of the subseries runs do not extend for the entire period. Data is given for the nation, states, cities, and selected industrial counties. There are also subject series that cover types of manufactured products. Current, and some historical, data is available at Census.gov.
- Construction Reports. C 3. 215/. 1963-2000 (some series do not cover this entire period). Statistics (monthly for some series) on construction activity: Housing Starts, Value of New Construction, Building Permits, Expenditures for Residential Repairs, New Homes Sold and for Sale, Housing Completions. Current, and some historical construction data, is available at Census.gov.
- Consolidated Federal Funds Reports. C 3.266/2: . We have the reports for 1984-1996 on CDs. Some historical reports are available online at Census.gov. This survey is no longer taken; the most recent data is from 2010. Some comparable data is available for more recent years at USASpending.gov.
- County Business Patterns. C 3.204: . 1964-1998. This major survey of economic activity at the county level gives data by SIC code on number of establishments, employment and payroll. The Library has this data on CD-ROM from 1990-1998. Reports for 1993 to the present are online at Census.gov. This link offers downloadable files, as well as various searching options, and there are PDF versions of reports from 1993 to the present. Census.gov has added Metro and Zip Code Business Patterns as well.
- Current Industrial Reports. C 3.158: . No longer in print in the Library. Series of reports by subject. Some reports appear monthly, other quarterly or annually. Data is given for nation, states and some cities. Many volumes have been digitized by Hathitrust libraries. Links to these sources are in the Library's catalog. The last two years are available as Excel spreadsheets at Census.gov, but earlier years may be purchased.
Statistical Abstract. C 3.134: . Standard annual summary of U.S. social, political and economic statistics with recent time series which vary from volume to volume. There is some international data and a guide to sources of material. The most recent edition is kept at the Research Desk in the Learning Commons; older editions (from 1915-2012) circulate.
Starting with the 2013 edition, the StatAbs is no longer published by the Census Bureau and current editions will not be available on their website. The Library will continue to buy printed editions from the commercial publisher, and will investigate the value of online access through the publisher.
The Library has volumes for 1915 to the present, with a few years missing (check the Catalog for exact holdings). Editions for 1994 to the present are also available on Reserve in CD-ROM and may be checked out for 7 days. Statistical Abstracts back to 1878 are available at Census.gov in PDF and zipped formats (some years may be missing, but will be added as the digitization work continues).
U.S. Exports/Imports of Merchandise. C 3.278/2,3:. 1989-2015. The Library keeps annual and multi-year cumulations of this data on commodities and countries. Some of the data is available at Census.gov.