Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Borrow from other libraries
Borrowing Privileges / Circulation Policies
Blume Library Circulation Policies
These policies apply only to the Blume Library. The Law Library has its own policies.
Categories of Borrowers & Borrowing Privileges
- Undergraduate Students--6 Books--Two Weeks--One Renewal
- Graduate Students--15 Books--Four Weeks--One Renewal
- Doctoral Students--15 Books--Four Weeks--One Renewal
- Law Students--15 Books--Four Weeks--One Renewal (This policy applies only to books checked out from the Blume Library. As per Law Library policy, there is no grace period for Law students).
- Staff--6 Books--Two Weeks--One Renewal
- Faculty--30 Books--One Semester--One Renewal
- TexShare Card Holders--4 Books--Two Weeks--One Renewal
- Special Card Holders--2 Books--Two Weeks--One Renewal
- St. Mary's students, faculty, and staff must present a valid St. Mary's Rattler ID card in order to check out library materials.
- Alumni may purchase special cards for $35.00. Alumni may borrow two books per two-week checkout period. Non-alumni may purchase special cards for $100.00. Borrowing privileges are the same as for alumni.
- TexShare Card holders from participating libraries should present their TexShare card and university/college ID card.
- The TexShare Card program allows St. Mary's students, faculty, and staff to check out materials from participating libraries throughout the State of Texas. Please inquire at the Circulation Counter for more information.
- Members of the St. Mary's Law School community (students, faculty, and staff) are not eligible to receive TexShare cards from the Blume Library. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact the Law Library Director for further information.
Library Fines and Replacement Charges
Fines for Circulating Books
- A fine of $0.25 per day will be charged for each overdue book.
- Fines will begin to accrue after a two-day grace period. (The grace period does not apply to Law students as per Law Library policy. Please direct comments to the Law Library.)
- The maximum fine is $15.00 per book.
- After the maximum fine is reached, the book is considered lost and the patron billed accordingly ($15.00 fine plus $15.00 billing fee per book.) If the book is not returned, see below for the information on lost books.
Fines for Reserve Items
- Fines for hourly Reserve items are $0.50 per item per hour up to a maximum of $5.00.
- Fines for all other Reserve items (1 day, 3 days, 7 days, videos) are $1.00 per item per day up to a maximum of $10.00.
- The borrower must pay the replacement cost of the book plus a $10.00 re-processing charge plus a $15.00 billing fee.
- Replacement costs for out-of-print books are $35.00 per book plus a $10.00 re-processing charge plus a $15.00 billing fee.
- If a lost and paid for book is found within the fiscal year (June 1 - May 31), the replacement cost will be refunded to the borrower, minus $15.00 billing fee and $15.00 fines.
- Billing fees and fines are not refundable.
Clearance of Library Charges
- All monetary transactions with the Blume Library must be handled at the Circulation Counter from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Exceptions can be made for borrowers who cannot get to the Blume Library at these times.
- Such arrangements must be made in advance with the Circulation Supervisor.
Failure to Clear Library Charges
- Failure to clear library charges will result in immediate loss of borrowing privileges, including borrowing Reserve items.
- Continued failure to clear library charges will result in denial of permission to register, receive grades and transcripts, and ultimately, to graduate.
- Every patron is entitled to one (1) renewal, unless another patron places a hold on the checked-out item.
- In such cases, the placer of the hold is entitled to check out the item, and the renewal privilege is canceled.
- Holds may not be placed on Reserve items.
- Holds are filled in the order they are placed.
- These policies apply only in the Blume Library.
Payments for Fines or Lost Books
Payments for fines and lost books are accepted at the Blume Library Circulation Counter during regular library hours or you may pay online.
- If you aren't sure of the amount of the library fine, call the Blume Library Circulation Counter at (210) 436-3430 or login to your Library Account in the Library Catalog.
- The Circulation Manager receives a payment receipt after you pay online. Your account will be cleared if the payment is received before 5pm from Monday to Friday. Payments after 5pm will be cleared the next business day.
- If you require library access sooner, you MUST print a copy of the PAYMENT CONFIRMATION PAGE generated by the Pay Online system and bring it to the Blume Library Circulation Counter.