Skip to main content

Charles L. Cotrell Learning Commons: FAQ

News, resources, and services available through the Charles L. Cotrell Learning Commons, located on the 1st Floor of the Louis J. Blume Library at St. Mary's University of San Antonio, Texas.


Q.: Who may use the Learning Commons?

A.: The Louis J. Blume Library, which houses the Charles L. Cotrell Learning Commons, is designed to serve the students, faculty, and staff of St. Mary's University, and members of the Society of Mary. Guests who are participating in university sponsored events are also welcome. 

Q.: What are the hours of operation?

A.: There are five different service areas with varying hours housed in the Learning Commons. During the regular semesters, they are:

Service Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Learning Commons 1pm - 1am 7:30am - 1am 7:30am - 1am 7:30am - 1am 7:30am - 1am 7:30am - 10pm 1pm - 10pm
Academic Media Center closed 8am - 10pm 8am - 10pm 8am - 10pm 8am - 10pm 8am - 5pm closed
Center for Instructional Technology closed 7:45am - 10pm 7:45am - 10pm 7:45am - 10pm 7:45am - 10pm 7:45am - 5pm closed
Technical Support Center closed 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 5pm closed
Research Station closed 11am - 4pm 11am - 4pm 11am - 4pm 11am - 4pm 11am - 4pm closed
Starbucks 5pm - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 10pm 7:30am - 4pm closed

 Hours are subject to change.

Q.: What services are provided by each department?

A.: See the Academic Media Center (AMC), Center for Instructional Technology (CIT), Help Desk, Research Help, and Starbucks sections of this guide for more information. 

Q: May I reserve a space in the Learning Commons?

A: University faculty and staff may reserve the Media Viewing Room, the CIT Lab, the AMC Studio, or Conference Room 116 for courses or official university business by contacting the Center for Instructional Technology (CIT) at or ext. 1054 or 210-533-0362 or the Academic Media Center (AMC) at 210-436-3503.

Q. I want to use one of the whiteboards, but I don't have markers and an eraser. What do I do?

A. You may borrow dry erase markers and an eraser by leaving your Rattler ID card with the Commons Greeter near the entrance.

Q. Is there a pencil sharpener in the Commons?

A. There is an electric pencil sharpener on top of the black file cabinet next to the Research Station.

Q.: Who do I contact if one of the vending machines doesn't give me correct change or has a malfunction?

A.: Contact the Information Desk at 210-431-8087 or 210-431-2200 on the 1st floor of the University Center.

Q:  Who do I contact if someone is stuck in the elevator?

A:  Please notify campus police at ext.3330 or 210-436-3330.  

Q: Where can I find tutorials to help me with Excel or other software programs?

A: Check the tutorials in Atomic Learning, located under "Resources" in the "Quick Links" box in Gateway.

Q: How do I change one of the monitors in the Student Lounge/Flex Room to play a video from my laptop?

A: If you have an HDMI cable, plug it in from your laptop or game console into control panel on the wall, located to the left of either monitor and change the input on the monitor. You may be able to use your phone to do this, too.

Q.: What if I have a question that hasn't been answered by this guide?

A.: Please feel free to use our Ask a Question form or call one of the phone numbers provided in this guide.