See Women's History Month 2019 at St. Mary's University (http://lib.stmarytx.edu/WHM/2019) for updates:
- Weekday Mass - Throughout March - 12:15 p.m. (MWF) and 12:30 p.m. (TR), Reinbolt Hall, Assumption Chapel. (Wayne Romo) Female saints will be honored on their Feast Days.
- Art Exhibit: Artwork by Karla Miranda: "In Process" - March 21 through April 17, Blume Library, 2nd Floor, building hours.
- Alice Wright Franzke Feminist Award Reception - Friday, March 1, 4 to 5:30 p.m., Sarita Kenedy East Law Library, Alumni Room. (Diane Duesterhoeft)
- The Triangle Factory Fire Project by Christopher Piehler - Friday, March 1; Saturday, March 2; and Wednesday, March 6 through Friday, March 8, 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, March 3, 2:30 p.m., Treadaway Hall, Guadalupe Chapel. Drama Department (Alicia Rodriguez).
- Continuing the Heritage - Saturday, March 2, 7:15 a.m., Flex Field. Civic Engagement (Laura Dicun).
- Thecla: Second Century Visionary - Monday, March 4, 8:20 to 9:10 a.m., St. Louis Hall, Room 330. Theology Department (Allison Gray, Ph.D.). The St. Mary's University community is invited to attend this open lecture on the second-century missionary and Saint Thecla. The presentation will describe Thecla's conversion to Christianity, her decision to leave her family home to preach the gospel, and the obstacles she overcame (spoiler alert: there's a beast fight in the arena). This is a regular class meeting of Professor Gray's HO 3302 course, but other students and members of the University community are welcome to attend for lecture and discussion.
- Celebration of Women in History - Monday, March 4, 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., University Center Atrium. Civic Engagement (Iliana Mallett). Celebrate Women's History Month by highlighting important women in history. Stop by the Atrium and write down your favorite quote by an important woman in your life or in history. A banner will be displayed throughout the week in the University Center.
- Panel Discussion on the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire - Monday, March 4, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., Guadalupe Chapel, Treadaway Hall. Drama Department (Alicia Rodriguez). Join a panel discussion on the historic 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in New York City that caused the death of 146 garment workers, mainly young immigrant girls. Panelists include: Sr. Susan Mika; Bonita Roberts, J.D., School of Law; Rafael Moras, Ph.D., Engineering Department; Belinda Roman, Ph.D., Economics Department; Drama Department student.
- So You Think You Can Negotiate? – Monday, March 4, 2019, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., Graduate Center for Excellence, 3rd floor Blume Library. (Anne Edmunds Aguirre) Presenter: Tatiana Randolph, STRIVE Career Center.
- Women's History Month-Bystander Intervention Training - Wednesday, March 6, 3:00 to 4:30 p.m., University Center, Conference Room C. Student Development (Courtney Barrie)
- Real Talk 2.0: Women's History Month - Thursday, March 7, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., University Center, Conference Room B. Civic Engagement (Iliana Mallett).
- Women in STEM Luncheon - Tuesday, March 19, 12:30 to 1:45 p.m., University Center, Conference Room A. School of Science, Engineering and Technology (Claudia Araiza). RSVP (required) to Claudia Araiza at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-436-3317.
- The Life of Berenice - Tuesday, March 19, 12:30 to 1:50 p.m., Charles Francis 008. Theology (Sara Ronis, Ph.D.). Learn about the life of Berenice, daughter of Herod Agrippa, Jewish queen of the Roman Empire.
- Book Club: The Long Loneliness: The Autobiography of Dorothy Day - Tuesday, March 19, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., Blume Library, Cotrell Learning Commons. English Literature and Language (Kathleen Maloney, Ph.D.).
- Women of Courage and Vision - Wednesday, March 20, Noon to 1 p.m., Casa Maria Marianist Community. Lunch included and craft and sale items to benefit Marianist Sisters mission. Please RSVP to email@example.com (Sister Grace Walle, F.M.I.).
- Women of Faith Series - Wednesday, March 20, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., University Ministry living room. University Ministry (Wayne Romo).
- Art Exhibit Opening Reception: Featuring Artwork by Karla Miranda: "In Process" – Thursday, March 21, 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., Blume Library, Gallery Display/Exhibit. Art (Brian St. John).
- Blessing of the Women Feast of the Annunciation - Monday, March 25, 9:10 to 9:45 a.m., Barrett Memorial Bell Tower. Marianist Sisters and University Ministry. (Sister Grace Walle, F.M.I.) Crafts and other items will be available for purchase. Proceeds will benefit the Marianist Sisters. Breakfast tacos and refreshments will be served.
- Interactive Poetry Reading with Cyra Dumitru, Tuesday, March 26, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., University Center, Conference Room D. English Literature and Language (Kathleen Maloney, Ph.D.).
- Women's Empowerment and Sustainable Development Projects in Developing Countries – Tuesday, March 26, 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., St. Louis Hall, Room 330. International Relations (Claudia Donoso, Ph.D.). Join this classroom discussion on Women Empowerment and Development in Developing Countries with Claudia Donoso, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Graduate International Relations. Attendees are encouraged to read "Rural Indigenous Women in Bolivia: A Development Proposal Based on Cooperativism" by Fuensanta C. Galindo-Reyes, Antonio M. Ciruela-Lorenzo, Salvador Perez-Moreno, Salvador Perez Canto, so they can participate in a discussion about the article. The class discussion will be followed by a group activity.
- A Viewing of the Documentary RBG (Ruth Bader Ginsburg) – Wednesday, March 27, 12:20 to 1:35 p.m., St. Louis Hall, Room 330. Political Science (Sonia Garcia, Ph.D.). Join the Political Science Department for a viewing of the documentary, RBG, which explores Ruth Bader Ginsburg's exceptional life and career.
- “The Unruly Mystic: Saint Hildegard” Film Screening and Discussion – Wednesday, March 27, 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Moody Life Sciences, Room 102. Women's Studies and Theology (Sara Ronis, Ph.D. and Allison Gray, Ph.D.). Join in a discussion about the life and legacy of this Catholic theologian and visionary from the Middle Ages.
- Women of Faith Series - Wednesday, March 27, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., University Ministry living room. University Ministry (Wayne Romo).
- Women in Law Leadership Award Luncheon - Thursday, March 28, Noon to 2:00 p.m., Sarita Kenedy East Law Library, Alumni Room. (Sister Grace Walle, F.M.I.).
- The Self’s Relation to Society: Women’s Contributions in Phenomenology - Thursday, March 28, 3:30 to 5:00 p.m., University Center, Conference Room B. Philosophy (Eric Chelstrom, Ph.D.).
- Women of Faith Series - Wednesday, April 3, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., University Ministry living room. University Ministry (Wayne Romo).
The St. Mary's University Women's History Month facebook group provides planning information and additional details about Women's History Month activities and related events.
The 2019 St. Mary's University Women’s History Month Committee:
Janet Armitage, Ph.D.; Karen Ball; Claudia Donoso, Ph.D.; Diane Duesterhoeft; Sonia Garcia, Ph.D.; Allison Gray, Ph.D.; Bernadette Hamilton-Brady; Amanda Hill, Ph.D.; Kathleen Maloney, Ph.D.; Sue Nash, Ph.D.; Leona Pallansch, Ph.D.; Sara Ronis, Ph.D.; Angeli Willson, Ph.D.; Necia Wolff
Courtney Barrie; Anne Edmunds Aguirre, Ed.D.; Anndria Flores; Wayne Romo; Sister Grace Walle, F.M.I.
Isabela Baker; Natalie Childs; Pisinee Dangwung
Jessica Gonzalez Uhlig
Affiliated Students, Faculty and Staff
Claudia Araiza; Eric Chelstrom, Ph.D.; Charles Cotrell, Ph.D.; Laura Dicun; Iliana Mallett; Brian St. John